You are probably looking for natural cough remedies for your kids. It can be commonly caused by viral, Bronchitis, Asthma, Croup – affecting the upper airway, bacterial infection, or pneumonia. But before you continue to read on, double check if the situation is not an emergency. Call emergency services or 911 when your child is:
- struggling for breath, can’t talk, or grunts with each breath
- choking and unable to stop
- has passed out or stop breathing
- has blue-tinged lips or fingernails
Call your doctor immediately if your child is:
- he is having trouble breathing or talking
- having persisting vomiting
- turning red or purple when coughing
- drooling or is trouble swallowing
- looking sick and fatigue
- may have an object stuck on his throat
- having chest pains when deep breathing
- coughing blood or wheezing
- having above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit rectal temperature for kids younger than 4 months old ( never give fever medicine to infants)
- if fever has not improved for two hours fever medicine
Ok, so if its a simple cough or has not severed yet, or your child is having wet cough which brings up phlegm, then calm down and try these natural cough remedies for your kids.
- Honey – Studies have revealed that honey is better than cough medicines for relieving cough and helping your kids to sleep better. Dark honey, such as buckwheat may work best because of its higher antioxidants. Give half a teaspoon to children ages 1 to 5 years and one teaspoon to kids ages 6 to 11. But never give honey to babies younger than 1; they can get botulism from bacteria in it.
- Breast Milk – for months old to 6 months – no cure is greater than the only natural food for a new-born baby, but from her mother’s milk. It works as the cough remedy and for any infection for baby within six months.
- Turmeric – Mix a little turmeric with warm water to make a smooth paste, apply this on baby’s chest, forehead and sole of the feet. Wash it away after some time. The heat from the turmeric will help in diluting the mucus and oozing it out.
- Soups – It will be difficult to consume solids and hot soups, it will make excellent supplement food for children. It is calming, comforting and relieves all kinds of cold and cough.
- Vitamin C Juice – Give the baby regular sips of juice containing vitamin c such as lemon or orange. Vitamin c fights germs of cold. However, avoid this if your child suffers from a sore throat. This one is one of the best cough remedies to boost your kids immune system to fight off viral infection faster.
- Elevate the head – Elevate your child’s head with an extra pillow at night so mucus can drain. For babies, raise the head of the crib mattress by placing a wedge or pillow under the mattress.
- Herbal Drops – You can try natural cough drops made with honey, lemon, eucalyptus, sage, thyme, or peppermint.
- Ginger tea – Ginger is packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. A few cups of ginger tea per day may help sooth inflammation in your throat while keeping you hydrated.
- Steam bath – Let a hot shower run for a few minutes and bring your child in to breath the steam for no longer than 5 to 10 minutes.
Remember to keep your child hydrated – Staying hydrated is extremely important when you’re fighting off an infection. It also keeps your throat from drying out and becoming irritated or inflamed. Aim to drink at least 10 eight-ounce glasses of water per day.
Consistency is the key in the making your method effective, but always be watchful if the methods you used are working and giving relief to your child and continue with it. If your child is finds it irritating and and trigger more mucus, stop it and try another.
If cough and colds is persistent for a week, do call your doctor and have him checked for other symptoms.